Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread with Flaxseed

2 TBS. yeast
2-1/2 cups warm water
4 TBS. honey
2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup oil
1/4 - 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 - 1/2 cup whole flaxseed
6+ cups whole wheat flour

mix warm water, tsp. honey and yeast. Let set for 10 min or so. Add oil, honey and salt then add 3 cups of flour, I mix well for about 5 minutes, then add the flax, mix well for a few more minutes ( I find that all this extra mixing/strengthening the gluten holds the bread together better ) the flax tends to make the finished bread fall apart when you slice it. Add more flour and knead 10 min. I let my dough rise for 1 hour, punch it down and rise for 1 more hour. Place in loaf pans and let rise (about 30 min). Bake 350 for 35 minutes. makes 2 loaves. I usually double this recipe for 4 loaves and freeze it. This is the staple bread in our house, once I started adding the flax seed the family would not let me make bread any other way. I think you could add it to any bread recipe, It will just use a little less flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment