Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Cookies

It is hard to run away from the memories of Christmas past. It means that I have to be the one to carry on the tradition of making all of the cookies. I don't remember a time when my Mom or my Grandmother did not make these Chocolate nut drop cookies for the Holidays. That was the only time of the year that we had them, it made it even more special. I'm not sure when I picked up this torch to carry, but it is alot of work. My family ( as well as other benefitiaries) assures me it is well worth it
These are my husbands Christmas memories, they are his Grandmothers Date Nut Drop cookies. These are the cookies that have to be hidden. My kids have developed a fondness for them as well.
I make 5 or 6 different kinds of cookies each year (my children will love me for this someday when they have to make them all,to settle thier hunger for Christmas pasts!) I make Chocolate Nut Drops, Date Nut Drops, Grandma's Suger Cookies, Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies, Buck-eyes, and Pinwheel cookies. When all of the baking is done, I package them up and send them out to family members who don't cook, or as a thank-you to special people in out lives. Then the feast begins. My family goes on an all out cookie and milk binge. I takes me 2 days to make them and they would eat them all in one day if I let them.
These are the "Buck-eyes" that have become one of our favorites for Christmas. They are peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate. By the way I am sick of cookies, and cannot wait to start taking off some Christmas pounds. And the reason I do this all in the first place is...?
oh yes, Christmas memories. Funny I don't remember all the extra weight when I was a kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment