Sunday, March 7, 2010

Throw pillow Slip-covers

Back in November I bought a pile of brand new dishtowels at an auction and they came with matching placemats. I am not a placemat person. So for the last few months I have been trying to figure out what to do with them. (very sad that it took 5 months for a lightbulb moment) anyways WHY have I never thought of this before! Placemats are readily available nothingness -my apologies to anyone who loves them- I cant tell you how many times I have come across beautiful placemats at yard sales and thrift stores and thought what a waist of cute fabric. Well I will never again want for pillow slipcovers. Below are the simple steps I used :)
Step 1: placemats, seam ripper and a cozy chair


Step 2: Remove the lining, this was lined with an iron-on type stabilizer. It left little pieces of itself behind but no one is going to see the inside of the cover anyways.

Step 3: cut the back into two equel pieces. Then cut about 3/4 th of the way up on the front. Or what ever size you want your pillow to be. The great thing about this is it doesnt require exact measurements




Step 4: Iron out the folded edges on all pieces then fold in twice on the back pieces where you cut them to make a nice seam



Step 5: layer the pieces with Right sides of the fabric together overlaping the two back pieces and pin.





Step 6: stitch all the way around with a straight stitch and then a zigzag to keep it from fraying. Or just surge all the way around if you have a serger.







Step 7: turn pillow case right side out and pop in you pillow!






No comments:

Post a Comment